Can I File a Lawsuit for Damages Caused During a Demonstration?
Posted on behalf of RizkLaw on Oct 30, 2020 in Personal Injury
This has been a busy year for demonstrations across the U.S. and especially in Portland. Unfortunately, although most attended these events with a peaceful protest in mind, many evolved and erupted into more extreme activity, which led to demonstrators, innocent bystanders and others getting injured.
If you were harmed or assaulted during a demonstration or protest, you may wonder whether you have any options for recovering compensation for your damages. It is important to recognize that a personal injury claim sustained during a demonstration is going to be both challenging and complicated. Everything moves quickly in this type of situation, and it can often be hard to remember details or be fully aware of what is going on around you.
After suffering an injury at this type of event, we strongly recommend that you contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible to learn more about the legal options that may be available to you. We provide a free and confidential consultation to discuss your claim. There is no obligation to you after this meeting, but it is a great opportunity to get answers to some of your questions.
Who Can Be Liable for Your Injuries?
To answer that question fully, your attorney will need to know more about what happened. Often there are contributing factors to these types of injuries or assaults that the victims may not have considered.
When an injury, assault or other type of violence happens at a protest, riot or demonstration, the following parties may be liable:
- Organizers or other protesters: If another protester or bystander at the event hits you, he or she could be liable for your injuries. If a negligent driver in the area runs you over and the organizer did not take proper measures to secure the event location, such as closing off the protest area to traffic, he or she may be found at fault for the damages.
- Property owners: Owners or landlords that permit organizations to protest on their property may be held liable for injuries sustained if they neglected to take reasonable measures to ensure the property was safe – such as clearing away snow, providing proper lighting, fixing any property hazards or hiring security personnel.
- Police officers: If one or more officers got out of hand and used unnecessary force to subdue a crowd, such as teargas, rubber bullets or other unnecessary physical roughness, you may have a case against the officer, the police department and the city.
It is important to note that in any of these cases, the burden of proof is on the injured victim, which means that you will need to prove that another person’s negligence caused the incident and your injuries. Therefore, you may benefit from having an experienced attorney on your side who understands the law and who will fight to protect your legal rights and best interests.
What Compensation Can You Recover?
If we determine that you may have a valid lawsuit for the damages you sustained, you may be eligible for various types of compensation, such as:
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Related medical costs, including surgery, physical therapy and more
We encourage you to take advantage of the free consultation we offer. Our qualified attorneys are prepared to discuss how your injury or assault happened, and we also encourage you to ask questions about the legal process and what you can expect if we take your case. However, there is no obligation that you hire our services after this meeting.
Legal Help That May Benefit You After an Injury at a Public Protest
Claims involving injuries that happened at a demonstration, protest or other event where there was a large crowd in a public place are often challenging, because it can be difficult to determine liability. This type of case requires an experienced attorney, someone who has extensive knowledge of state laws, and who is also prepared to fight for your best interests.
At Rizk Law, our licensed Portland personal injury lawyers fight tirelessly to hold at-fault parties accountable and to pursue maximum compensation on your behalf.
We are prepared to provide legal help if the willful misconduct, reckless behavior or negligence of another caused you to suffer harm. Call or text our firm to schedule a free consultation to learn more about what we may be able to do in your situation. There is no cost or obligation for this meeting. If we take your case, there are no upfront costs or attorney fees while we represent you. We only get paid when you do.