What to do After a Portland Bike Accident
Posted on behalf of Rizk Law on Sep 19, 2018 in Auto Accident
Depending on the severity of your injuries, if you have been involved in a traffic accident while using your bike, it is important to take certain steps. Bike riders are required to follow traffic law, one of which is the requirement of reporting the accident to the authorities. If the bicyclist was at fault and the driver is injured, the bicyclist should provide his or her contact details and render reasonable assistance. In other cases, where the driver was at fault, here are some tips to bear in mind, some of which may be limited depending on the extent of injuries:
- First and foremost, ensure your own personal safety. If you ended up off your bike and on the road, move to the curb or sidewalk and out of the way of any other cars or bikes
- If you can, retrieve your bicycle to prevent it sustaining any additional damage
- Remain at the scene of the accident to ensure police arrive and receive an accurate statement of events
- Get the name of the driver and registration/make/model of the car that hit you
- See if there were any witnesses. If there were, get the names and contact details of these witnesses and, if possible, ask them to speak with police when they arrive on the scene. Witnesses are required by law to provide an accurate name and contact information if they witness an accident causing injuries or worse. ORS 811.715
- Cell phones are useful to document where the accident occurred and also your injuries to person and property
The list is non-exhaustive, but the main things to remember are (a) ensuring your personal safety, and (b) recording as much information as you can, depending on your condition. Also, try and remain calm. Tempers can flare after an accident, but if you lose control of your emotions and attack whoever injured you, regardless of their carelessness, lashing out could result in liability for you.
After you have ensured your personal safety, you should call Richard Rizk, Attorney at Law at (503) 245-5677 to get started on your personal injury claim.
Protect Yourself in the Event of an Accident
If you have been in a bicycle accident, you need to ensure that your injuries and property are taken care of. Call Richard Rizk, Attorney at Law for a free consultation today at (503) 245-5677.
If you would like learn more about Oregon bicycle accidents, please read our page on Oregon Personal Injury Protection for Bicyclists.