Bike and Walk Safely in Portland This Summer
Posted on behalf of RizkLaw on May 11, 2021 in Auto Accident
Now that summer is beginning to reveal longer and warmer days, it is time to get back outside again in Portland. To inspire Portlanders, as well as visitors exploring the city for the first time, the Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) has developed some great programs and resources.
Read on to discover some places to bike or walk, special events and other programs happening in the city this summer.
Where to Go
Portland is widely known as a commuter-friendly city. There are almost 400 miles of bikeways to support that claim, including more than 100 miles of reduced-traffic areas along Neighborhood Greenways.
Not sure where to start? Check out PBOT’s Biking in Portland website. There is an exciting number of informative resources to help you discover new routes around the city. If your bicycle is in need of some TLC, you can soon get it back into working order after a visit to one of these bike repair and maintenance shops.
Here are just a few of the online resources found on the PBOT biking page. There is no shortage of opportunities for those wanting to change up their usual biking route:
- BIKETOWN: You can rent a bike and discover numerous other routes and local city attractions here.
- PBOT New Rider Resources: As the name implies, this is a great place for first-time riders or those who want to learn more about bicycle maintenance or get more information about Portland’s bike route infrastructure.
- Portland’s Family Biking Guide: There are guides here for getting the whole family involved in cycling around the city.
Some Portlanders and summer travelers prefer to tour the city by foot. Get insider details about navigating the city, lower traffic areas and more on the PBOT Walking in Portland page. Peruse the guided tours – complete with road maps and directions – information about community events and other well-known historic walks around the city.
Special Event – Enter the 5th Annual Bike to Books Contest
To celebrate National Bike Month, Portland is sponsoring the fifth annual Bike to Books contest. Students living in Multnomah County are invited once again to express their artistic sides by submitting original art designs. The designs of the grand prize winners will be installed on Portland’s bike lanes for all to see.
Regardless of how you choose to enjoy the city, Rizk Law encourages bicyclists, walkers and motorists to participate in making Portland a safer place for all.
Whether driving, walking or cycling around Portland, here are some important safety tips:
Drive, Walk or Cycle Defensively
We encourage Portlanders and visitors alike to be proactive for the safety of yourself and others, remembering that:
- Drivers Owe a Duty of Care to Others: Motorists carry a huge responsibility for the safety of others on the road, especially for vulnerable road users, such as children, pedestrians and cyclists. Staying off cellphones, following traffic laws and remaining alert for potential road hazards should help to reduce the number of traffic fatalities this summer.
- Pedestrians and Cyclists Also Owe a Duty of Care: Drivers are not alone in owing a duty of care to others on our roadways. Cyclists and pedestrians also owe a duty of care for their own safety and the safety of others. For example, when pedestrians walk into a street without looking first, even at designated crossing areas, they are risking their own life and potentially the lives of others. There are many drivers who continue to ignore traffic laws, operate while impaired or are simply distracted by a cellphone. Checking for traffic first helps to ensure your own safety.
Contact Rizk Law for Trusted Legal Help
Sometimes people get injured despite their best efforts to stay safe. When this happens, you need legal help you can trust to help you navigate the complicated legal system and protect your best interests.
Rizk Law is a team of experienced legal professionals in Portland that is community-focused and dedicated to the safety of others. We advocate tirelessly for those who have been injured because of the reckless or careless actions of others. If you need legal help, call our law offices 24/7 to schedule a free case review.