Semi-Truck Crashes Near Terwilliger Blvd. No Deaths Reported
Posted on behalf of RizkLaw on Jun 15, 2021 in Auto Accident, Personal Injury
In early June, a semi-truck rolled over onto its side, crashing on top of another vehicle. The accident occurred on a northbound stretch of Interstate 5. Fortunately, there were no deaths from the crash. However, the parties involved did sustain severe injuries.
Truck accidents can be violent and catastrophic because of a truck’s size. Understanding the common types of truck crashes and their causes is vital to keeping yourself safe on Oregon roads. Additionally, it may be difficult to pinpoint who is at fault for your injuries. A skilled truck accident attorney in Portland can launch a thorough investigation into the accident to recover compensation for your losses and determine the liable party.
Common Types of Truck Crashes in Portland
Truck accidents can occur for various reasons. For example, truck driver negligence, such as speeding or driving fatigued, or inadequate vehicle maintenance can cause accidents. Some common types of truck crashes include:
- Jackknife accidents: Jackknifing occurs when a commercial truck folds in on itself, forming a 90-degree angle. These accidents usually occur when a truck driver brakes suddenly, causing the trailer to swing out.
- Truck rollovers: When a driver loses control of their truck, it may roll over onto its side and endanger other vehicles and pedestrians, such as the truck accident on Interstate 5. Drivers may lose control because of high speeds, steep inclines, or slippery surfaces.
- Wide-turn crashes: When drivers swing left to turn right, it is known as a wide-turn crash. Truck drivers who do this do not account for the truck’s length nor the traffic behind them. As a result, traffic in other lanes may be hit.
- Blindspot collisions: Trucks have significant blind spots where the driver loses sight of other vehicles. If a truck driver does not see you, it may result in you being hit, crushed, or forced off the road.
Unfortunately, truck accidents are more common than you might think. In 2017, there were 1,694 truck collisions in Oregon, causing 628 injuries and 52 fatalities.
Who’s Liable for a Truck Collision?
Truck accident cases are difficult to navigate for various reasons. One of the biggest reasons for the complexity of these cases is because multiple parties might be liable for the accident, including the following parties:
- Company that employs the driver
- Company that owns the truck
- Company that loaded cargo into the trailer
- Truck manufacturer
Since multiple parties could be involved, multiple insurance companies may also be involved, making your injury claim even more complex. A Portland injury attorney can guide you through the legal process and protect your rights throughout your claim.
What Compensation May I Receive for My Truck Accident Injuries?
Remember that just because you sustained injuries in an accident does not mean you are entitled to financial compensation. To secure compensation for your losses, you must prove that the other party’s negligence caused your injuries and losses. A truck accident attorney in Portland can gather and analyze evidence to prove negligence.
If they find the other driver was negligent, you might be able to secure compensation for the following losses:
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
One thing you should never do is put your faith in the insurance company. Their goal is to maximize profits whenever possible, and that means employing tactics to reduce or deny your claim. Before speaking to an insurer, always consult with an attorney.
Skilled Truck Accident Attorneys in Portland Will Fight for You
There are many advantages to working with a lawyer after a truck accident, so contact one immediately. You want to give your attorney plenty of time to determine whether you have a case, estimate the value of your accident, and weigh the best course of action.
At Rizk Law, our founder Richard Rizk has helped resolve insurance claims for Nationwide Insurance since the 1990s, so he knows how insurers assess damages and injuries. Most importantly, he is not intimidated by insurance companies. You can be confident that Attorney Rizk and his team will do everything possible to reach a favorable outcome. Call (503) 852-5761 or complete our contact form to learn more about how our attorneys can help you.