Can I Hold Uber or Lyft Liable for My Accident?
Posted on behalf of RizkLaw on Sep 22, 2023 in Auto Accident
The advent of ridesharing services like Uber and Lyft has transformed the way Oregonians move about our cities. With a simple tap on a smartphone, we summon a ride that appears within minutes, whisking us away to our destinations. This convenience has undoubtedly made our lives easier, but it has also introduced a new layer of complexity when accidents happen.
Whether you’re a passenger or a driver in an Uber or Lyft vehicle, you may find yourself wondering if these companies can be held liable for the crash and your injuries. The rideshare accident lawyers on the Rizk Law team understand all of the ins and outs of these types of cases and can help you hold any at-fault parties responsible for your damages.
Determining Rideshare Accident Liability in Oregon
Whether you can hold Uber or Lyft liable for your accident depends on the circumstances of the accident and the driver’s status at the time. Here are some scenarios to consider:
Was the Driver Actively Transporting You?
Both Uber and Lyft provide insurance coverage to their drivers, but the level of coverage depends on the driver’s status. If you were a passenger and the driver was actively transporting you at the time of the accident, Uber or Lyft’s insurance should cover your injuries and damages. Rideshare companies typically provide significant liability coverage in these situations.
Was the Driver Waiting for a Ride Request?
If the driver was waiting for a ride request and the accident occurred, Uber and Lyft may provide limited coverage. In such cases, you might also need to rely on the driver’s personal insurance policy to fully cover your damages.
Was the Driver Using the App?
If the driver who caused the accident was not using the rideshare app at the time of the crash, Uber and Lyft may not share liability. In these cases, you would generally need to pursue a claim against the driver’s personal insurance policy.
Was the Crash Caused by Another Driver?
If the accident was caused by another driver, their insurance may also come into play. Determining which insurance policies are applicable can be a complex process. A Rizk Law rideshare accident lawyer can conduct a thorough investigation into your case to identify all of the at-fault parties.
Legal Options in Oregon After a Rideshare Accident
Navigating the complexities of rideshare accident liability in Oregon can be challenging. To seek compensation for your injuries and damages, a Rizk Law attorney can determine whether Uber or Lyft can be held liable in your specific case. We also assist our clients by:
- Gathering evidence: We may collect evidence from the accident scene, including photos, videos, witness statements, and other critical data.
- Providing legal guidance: Our attorneys have a deep understanding of Oregon’s laws and regulations related to accidents, liability, and insurance.
- Navigating insurance claims: Dealing with insurance companies can be complex and frustrating. Our lawyers can handle all communication with insurers, confirming that you don’t say or do anything that might jeopardize your claim.
- Negotiating settlements: Rizk Law attorneys are skilled negotiators. They can engage with the at-fault party’s insurance company to negotiate a fair settlement. If a settlement cannot be reached, they can prepare your case for litigation.
- Litigation representation: If your case goes to court, your Rizk Law lawyer will be your advocate. They’ll represent your interests, present evidence, and argue on your behalf to secure the compensation you deserve.
- Managing timelines: There are strict timelines for filing claims and lawsuits in Oregon. We can confirm that all necessary paperwork is filed correctly and within the required timeframes.
The Rizk Law team will help you identify all potential sources of compensation. This may include pursuing claims against the rideshare company, the driver, or even third parties if they contributed to the accident.
Contact an Experienced Rideshare Accident Attorney in Oregon for a Free Consultation
Holding Uber or Lyft liable for a rideshare accident in Oregon can be a complex process, as liability depends on various factors. If you are injured in a rideshare accident, consult with an experienced personal injury attorney on the Rizk Law team who can evaluate your case, determine liability, and help you seek the compensation you deserve. Your attorney will guide you through the legal process and work to protect your rights and interests in the pursuit of justice.