6 Tips for Safer Baby Sleep
Posted on behalf of RizkLaw on Dec 09, 2013 in Consumer Alerts
It is important to create a safe sleep environment for your baby. Because babies spend much of their time sleeping, the nursery should be the safest room in the house.
Rules for Safe Sleep
With any crib, bassinet or play yard, the following simple rules keep babies sleeping safely:
- Bare is best – to prevent suffocation, never place pillows or thick quilts in a baby’s sleep environment.
- Make sure there are no gaps larger than two fingers between the sides of the crib and the mattress.
- Only use the mattress pad provided with a play yard; do not add extra padding.
- Never place a crib near a window with blind, curtain cords or baby monitor cords; babies can strangle on cords.
- Proper assembly of cribs and play yards is essential – follow the instructions provided and make sure that every part is installed correctly. If you are not sure, call the manufacturer for assistance.
- Do not use cribs older than ten years or broken or modified cribs. Infants can strangle to death if their bodies pass through gaps between loose components or broken slats while their heads remain entrapped.
Rizk Law - Ph: 503.245.5677.