Gresham Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers
Spinal cord injuries can have devastating effects on an individual. Whether the injury was caused by an auto accident, construction site accident, or slip and fall – spinal cord injuries can leave a person with overwhelming medical bills, an inability to work and serious physical and emotional pain and suffering. If you believe your spinal cord injury was caused because of the negligent acts of another person or entity, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your suffering. Our Gresham spinal cord injury attorneys understand what victims and their families go through after this type of traumatic injury. We offer a free case evaluation where we can determine the legal steps you may be able to take to try to hold the at-fault party liable.
There are no risks in contacting us as we work on a contingency fee basis. This means that there are no upfront costs for our services, we only get paid if we successfully recover compensation for your case. Our personal injury lawyers in Gresham have recovered fair compensation for victims of many personal injuries.
What is a Spinal Cord Injury?
The spinal cord is a part of the central nervous system. Its main function is to send messages between the brain and body in order to control movement. Injury to the spinal cord may greatly affect an individual’s motor skills, mobility and reflexes.
The severity of a spinal cord injury depends on whether there was a slipped disc or fully damaged cord. The location of injury will indicate the part of the body that will be affected. Individuals who experience a spinal cord injury can experience anything from mild tingling, numbness or complete paralysis below the affected area.
The extent of injury can be classified into four groups:
- Paraplegia – This affects all organs and areas below the waist
- Quadriplegia – This type of damage affects all organs and areas below the neck
- Hemiplegia – This affects one side of the body and can include the side of the face, leg, or arm
- Monoplegia – This is the mildest damage of the four and can affect one limb or section of the body
If you are suffering damages from a spinal cord injury, contact a qualified Gresham spinal cord injury lawyer at Rizk Law to discuss your legal options. We are available and ready to answer any legal questions you may have.
Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries often occur when there is a sudden impact that dislocates or fractures the spinal column. There are many cases of spinal cord injuries that may be caused by the following:
Our Gresham spinal cord injury lawyers can closely examine your injury and determine if it may have been caused because of the negligence of another party. If your injury was caused by another person or entity, you may be entitled to receive compensation for the resulting damages.
There is no risk to you to talk to us, contact us today and we will be able to assist you and determine your next steps.
Call us right now at 503.245.5677.
How Do I Know if I Have a Spinal Cord Injury?
According to the Mayo Clinic, if you or a loved one experience a sudden impact to the back area, it is crucial that you keep still and contact medical assistance right away. Any movement after a sudden blow to the spinal area can cause further damage. Ask someone to call 9-1-1 for you so that you can get the care you need.
If you sustain a spinal cord injury, you may experience the following symptoms:
- Muscle spasms
- Stinging or pain
- Inability to move a certain part of your body
- Inability to feel parts of the body
- Difficulty breathing, accompanied by coughing
Damage to the spinal cord can lead to life-long medical problems, including the need for medical assistance, from medical equipment to physical therapy. If your injuries were caused through the actions of another, you should not have to pay for the overwhelming expenses that come from treating your injury. Schedule a legal consultation with us right away so that we can get started on your case and help you go after the financial support you need to move forward with your life and your physical limitations.
What Can I Get for My Injury?
Spinal cord injuries can be extremely severe and may cause damage for the rest of your life. That is why is it important to seek legal advice from a knowledgeable Gresham spinal cord injury lawyer. The lawyers at our firm may be able to help you recover compensation for some of the many costs you may have after your injury.
Compensation you may be entitled to includes:
- Past and future medical bills – Spinal cord injuries can be one of the most expensive injuries with the possibility of surgeries, physical therapy, medication and various doctor visits for the rest of the victim’s life potentially.
- Medical equipment – This can include a wheelchair or back brace. If the injury is severe, the victim may need a motorized wheelchair. A back brace could help provide support for less severe injuries. Some spinal cord injuries result in people needing to walk with crutches.
- Loss of wages from inability to work – Injuries could hold you back from working. If you experience a serious injury, you may not be able to return to a job that requires a lot of movement. In a settlement or verdict, we may be able to recover compensation for these lost earnings.
- Long-term medical care – Severe injuries may prevent an individual from being able to take care of himself or herself and he or she may require assistance from a care provider if a family member is unable to care for them.
Noneconomic damages for personal injury cases, including spinal cord injury cases, have a cap of $500,000 in the state of Oregon. This includes the following damages:
- Loss of enjoyment of life – A spinal cord injury can greatly impact a person’s well-being as they may be unable or restricted from pursuing the hobbies or activities they love.
- Pain and suffering – This type of injury causes drastic physical and emotional pain. Our compassionate team of lawyers want to ensure that you have the opportunity to pursue compensation for your pain and suffering because it can be just as significant as your medical expenses.
- Loss of companionship – If the injury hurts your relationship with your spouse, including the sexual relationship, you may be compensated for these effects.
Spinal cord injury cases are difficult and can take a lot of time and effort to pursue on your own. At Rizk Law, we believe that the most important aspect of your injury is your healing. You should not be burdened with all the details of the legal process during this time. Our Gresham spinal cord injury lawyers are here to help.
Contact us to get started on your case right now.
Contact a Gresham Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury, contact us today so that we can get started on your case and help you pursue the compensation you deserve.
Our qualified attorneys at Rizk Law have handled many injury cases. We are committed to helping you and will advocate for your rights throughout the legal process. We can handle all the legal work so that you can put your focus on your health and well-being. We do not charge for representing you unless you are compensated first.