These days, you don’t need to pester your family members for a ride to the airport or guilt-trip a friend into being the designated driver for the evening. With rideshare king Uber, an inexpensive ride is never out of reach. While Uber has surpassed the popularity of taxis, issuing over 5.5 billion rides daily, riders have experienced their share of misfortune participating in this method of transportation. If you have been injured in an Uber accident in Portland, you may be able to recover a significant sum for your damages with a determined personal injury attorney on your side.
What Should I Do After a Portland Uber Accident?
People who transport others for a living have strict standards to follow to ensure that passengers are safe. Companies like Uber have a duty to exercise the greatest degree of care, meaning that in addition to hiring safe drivers they must regularly maintain their vehicles so that they are safe to ride in at all times. When negligence enters the picture, accidents occur.
Many Uber accidents take place due to negligence alone. The first few steps you take after a car accident are critical to your future personal injury case. Following a Portland Uber accident, you should:
- Call police to take down a detailed report of the accident that includes your version of events.
- Seek medical assistance immediately. Many times following an accident adrenaline masks the sensation of pain. Even if you do not feel hurt, you should get a physical evaluation to confirm you are unharmed.
- Get insurance information from all parties involved.
- Photograph the scene where the accident took place and any damaged property or physical harm you sustained.
- Discuss your case with an experienced Uber accident attorney like Richard Rizk.
What NOT to Do After an Uber Accident
Being involved in a car accident which you could do nothing to prevent is a scary scenario. After an Uber accident which may lead to several thousands of dollars’ worth of expenses through medical bills and lost time at work, it may be tempting to take it upon yourself to quickly resolve the case. Keep in mind the following “don’ts” when taking action after an accident.
- Do NOT send demand letters to the Uber driver or other parties involved.
- Do NOT accept cash or any other payment for your injuries. If you suffered severe injuries, you might need much more than what is being offered to you up front to resolve the matter.
- Never sign waivers or release of liability forms.
- Do not speak with insurance adjusters. These employees are trained to try to get you to accept lowball offers, which can fall significantly short of what you may be entitled to under Oregon law.
- Never take the blame for the accident.
Common Uber Accident Injuries
Uber accident injuries can range from mild to life-altering. Even if you were in relatively heavy, slow-moving traffic, you could have suffered an injury that reduces your quality of life. Common Uber accident injuries include:
- Head and neck injuries such as traumatic brain injuries, concussions, herniated discs, whiplash
- Spinal cord damage, paralysis
- Lacerations and fractures
- Hand and wrist injuries
- Knee damage, including torn ligaments and shattered knee caps
- Facial injuries, disfigurement
Recovering from any one of these injuries can result in a mountain of unexpected medical bills and keep you out of work for an extended period, sinking you further into debt. Working with an Uber accident legal team can place you on the road to recovery.
Compensation for Uber Accident Victims
After you have been hurt, you are understandably a mixed bag of emotions. From feeling physical pain and discomfort to anxiety over how well you will recover and how you will be able to afford recovery in the short and long run, an injury that keeps you away from your family, friends, and work can quickly lower your spirits. Fortunately, Uber’s $1 million insurance policy may cover victims.
Uber’s generous liability coverage takes care of all Uber passengers. This policy takes effect in matters of negligence. Unfortunately, Uber assumes no responsibility for driver misconduct. If your driver caused an accident, an attorney on your case might be able to provide options for recovering compensation. On the plus side, as a passenger who was inside the Uber vehicle at the time of the accident, it makes no difference to you who was at fault because you are covered by Uber’s policy regardless as you are considered an “innocent party.” You may have to file a claim with the negligent party’s insurance company before receiving benefits from Uber.
In Oregon, you can legally recover compensation for:
- Current and future medical bills
- Ongoing costs of recovery
- Loss of income and future earning capacity
- Noneconomic damages such as pain and suffering, emotional trauma, and loss of consortium
Portland Attorney Richard Rizk Can Help!
Uber has spread throughout Portland like wildfire, filling the demand for rides where taxis have fallen short. With over five billion daily rides, it’s imperative to hold the ridesharing giant accountable for shoddy business practices that place billions of lives at risk every day.
Richard Rizk of Rizk Law is devoted to providing accident victims and their families the resources they need to get their lives back on track. As a former insurance claims adjuster for national insurance companies, he knows what techniques the other side will use to deny your claim or settle for peanuts. Don’t accept any compensation without talking to Rich first! Call (503) 245-5677 to discuss your Uber accident claim for free or email firstname.lastname@example.org.