Tax Fraud Attorneys in Portland, Oregon

You can always count on having to pay some kind of taxes, whether you are paying taxes on property, your income, or investments. Unfortunately, some individuals and businesses simply do not want to give the government the money it is entitled under tax law. If you are aware of tax fraud, you can help the government put a stop to it by filing a tax fraud claim with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

You should give serious thought to hiring a Portland tax fraud attorney to represent you throughout the complex, lengthy process. The lawyers at Rizk Law can represent you on contingency, which means they will not charge for representing you unless you are compensated. An attorney can also manage the process on your behalf, helping to reduce your stress. Our tax crime lawyers in Portland, Oregon are well-versed in tax law and how to prove fraud occurred. We also want you to be compensated for the risk you took in coming forward.

Schedule a free legal consultation today so our Portland whistleblower lawyers can discuss your situation. There is no risk because there is no obligation for you to take legal action. We will only recommend taking legal action if we think it is in your best interest.

Fill out a Free Case Evaluation form or call us at 503.245.5677.

Deadline for Filing a Tax Fraud Lawsuit in Portland, Oregon 

There is no deadline for filing a whistleblower lawsuit over tax fraud. The statute (26 United States Code § 6501) does not include a deadline.

This might make you think you have plenty of time to file a claim and pursue the compensation you could be entitled. The problem with waiting is that it can be more difficult to build a strong case as time passes. Evidence can get lost and it can simply become more difficult for our Portland tax fraud attorneys to establish that fraud occurred.

This is why it is best to contact us as soon as possible to discuss your legal options. This will give us the time we need to analyze what happened and determine if we think it would be a good idea to move forward.

Another reason to contact us right away is that there is actually a deadline of three years if your case does not involve fraudulent or willful intent. The three-year deadline is three years from the date the fraud occurred. It is difficult to determine if there was willful intent to commit fraud, so our attorneys need as much time as possible to avoid the statute of limitations running out.

Our tax crime attorneys in Portland, Oregon know how to ensure a claim is filed before time runs out. We do not want you to miss the opportunity to hold people accountable for fraud and be compensated for doing so.

Complete a Free Case Evaluation form today or call us at 503.245.5677.

Types of Tax Crime Cases in Portland, Oregon

Tax fraud essentially involves individuals, companies or entities not paying the government the taxes it is owed. Sometimes people simply do not pay their taxes, while other times they engage in various types of fraud to conceal the fact they did not pay or make it seem like they did pay what was owed.

Some common examples of tax fraud that you can blow the whistle on include:

  • Not filing a tax return
  • Not paying taxes
  • Hiding or simply not reporting income when filing taxes
  • Inflating the amount of an exemption or deduction
  • Using deductions that actually do not exist
  • Intentionally sending fraudulent documents to the IRS
  • Hiding income earned from your investments
  • Concealing other types of income
  • Using charitable donation deductions in a fraudulent way to avoid paying taxes, such as creating fake charities
  • Including kickbacks in tax deductions (kickbacks are payments intended to convince another party to provide a product or service)
  • Willfully withholding money from the government
  • Underreporting assets or income
  • Moving income to overseas accounts to avoid taxes
  • Putting assets into a trust to avoid taxes
  • Creating a corporation to conceal the actual owner of a business or corporation
  • Taking steps to falsifying accounting records
  • Hiding your assets

There are many forms of tax fraud that occur each year across the nation. If you are aware of fraud, our Portland tax fraud attorneys can help you blow the whistle on it. We can take care of all the legal process, fighting for your best interests every step of the way.

Complete a Free Case Evaluation form or call 503.245.5677.

What the Law Says About Tax Fraud Whistleblower Claims

The Internal Revenue Code (IRC) outlines two types of whistleblower cases. IRC 7623(a) applies to any claims not covered by IRC 7623(b). IRC 7623(b) covers cases where the amount of money denied to the government was greater than $2 million. If your case involves an individual who committed tax fraud, he or she cannot have made more than $200,000 for any year the case is concerned with.

While there are many types of tax fraud cases you can file under these laws, there are also numerous types of cases that cannot be filed under either section of the law.  

It is very difficult to determine if you can file a tax fraud claim on your own. Our Portland tax crime attorneys can examine the law to determine your options and if your particular claim is excluded.

Contact our firm at 503.245.5677 for your free legal consultation.

How Much Compensation Can I Recover?

When a case leads to things like an audit or investigation by the IRS and it collects money it is owed, the whistleblower may be able to recover a portion of that money.

Claims filed under IRC 7623(b) may allow you obtain between 15 and 30 percent of the money that is recovered. It is important to note there is no dollar amount on your award. For example, if you are entitled to 30 percent, it does not matter how much money that is.

An exception to this is if your tax fraud lawsuit was mostly based on the following:

  • Media reports
  • You being involved in planning or conducting the non-compliance with regulations
  • Government audit, investigation, hearing or report
  • Administrative or judicial hearings

In these situations, you are only entitled to 10 percent of the funds.

Cases filed under IRC 7623(a) have no minimum percentage of compensation. The IRS has discretion to determine the amount of your award, which can be no more than 15 percent of the funds you recovered. The maximum amount you may receive is $10 million.

Recovering Your Award

You must file IRS Form 211 to pursue the compensation you are entitled. This form needs to contain various pieces of information, including:

  • Explanation of how you found out about tax fraud
  • Description of any evidence you do not possess and where it is located
  • Description of what is owed to the IRS
  • Description of what happened
  • Evidence like bank records, emails, receipts, the location of assets and copies of records
  • Your relationship with the party implicated in your claim
  • Signature stating you will be penalized if you perjure yourself

This form must be mailed to the IRS, email or fax submissions are not accepted. Once the form is received, it will be reviewed. If the IRS wants to pursue it, it will be sent to another division. You could be contacted in the future for further information, to deny your claim, or to explain that the application is being sent for more investigation.

A Portland tax fraud attorney from our firm can guide you through this entire process, helping you file the proper forms completely and correctly and fighting for all the compensation you are owed.

Fill out a Free Case Evaluation form today or call us at 503.245.5677.

Contact a Portland Tax Fraud Attorney for a Free Consultation

Are you aware of tax fraud?

You have the power to put a stop to it, and the government might even compensate you for your trouble. This is why anyone who is aware of fraud should strongly consider meeting with a lawyer to determine if it makes sense to come forward.

The tax fraud attorneys in Portland at Rizk Law understand the fear people have about coming forward. We can discuss your situation in a confidential and free legal consultation. There will be no obligation to take legal action. We will also represent you on contingency, so there will be no fee unless you are compensated.

Call us today at 503.245.5677.