Vancouver Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Riding a bicycle is a popular way to get around in the most bicycle-friendly state in the nation. However, riding a bicycle can be one of the most dangerous forms of transportation, particularly when other motorists drive in a negligent or careless way. According to the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT), there were 1,201 bicycle collisions in 2017, which led to 15 fatalities. These accidents also led to 100 suspected serious injuries and 546 suspected minor injuries. While some crashes are the fault of cyclists, many others were the result of another driver’s negligence. If you think your accident was caused by negligence, you may have the right to take legal action and receive compensation for your injury. Our Vancouver bicycle accident lawyers at Rizk Law understand the risks cyclists face on the road. We advocate for riders injured by careless drivers and seek to recover compensation on their behalf for the damages they are dealing with. Our attorneys have helped many victims of motor vehicle accidents recover compensation for their injuries.
Contact us today for a free consultation. There are no risks to you as we work on a contingency fee basis, which means that we do not get paid unless we successfully recover compensation for your case. There is also no obligation to take legal action after meeting with us.
Common Types of Bicycle Injuries
Bicyclists are often at high risk for injuries because of their lack of protection. Even if you are wearing a helmet and elbow pads you could get fatally injured, while a driver wearing a seatbelt in a car with airbags could escape with minor injuries from a dangerous wreck.
Common types of injuries a cyclist may suffer include:
- Wrist and hand injuries
- Cuts and lacerations
- Joint dislocation
- Fractured bones
- Nerve damage
- Road rash
- Soft-tissue injuries
- Loss of teeth
If you were injured in bicycle accident, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your losses. Contact a compassionate Vancouver personal injury lawyer today at Rizk Law. During a free consultation we can determine what type of case you are dealing with and how to proceed with pursuing justice for your injury.
Let us get started on your case today. Call 503.245.5677.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Vancouver
Although Washington State is the friendliest bike state in the U.S., accidents are bound to happen. As a cyclist, you may take extra precautions, but there is little you can do to prevent a negligent driver from not paying close attention to the road ahead. Some common bicycle accidents caused by driver negligence include:
- Sideswipe accidents – This type of accident occurs when a motorist does not give the cyclist enough room while passing, causing the vehicle to sideswipe the cyclist, which could knock him or her off the bicycle and caused serious injuries.
- Pull-in-front accidents – These accidents occur when a motorist pulls out of a driveway, side street or parking lot and hits a cyclist who is trying to pass in front of the vehicle. These often occur because drivers fail to take extra precaution and are not expecting bicyclists to be on their path.
- Left and right-turn accidents – A left-turn accident is the result of a driver crashing into an approaching cyclist while making a left turn. A right-turn crash occurs when a driver turning right clashes with a cyclist who is riding beside his or her vehicle
- Door accidents – This type of accident occurs when a cyclist runs into a vehicle’s door which has been opened into his or her riding path. This is common in urban areas with heavy traffic, busy streets and parallel parking spots.
Other common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Cutting off a cyclist
- Tailgating a bicyclist
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving in designated bicycle lanes
- Driving while distracted by a cellphone or other passengers
Bicycle accidents can have life-threatening consequences. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, it is important to seek medical attention right away. After you have received the treatment needed, contact our attorneys at Rizk Law so that we can get started on your case and help you pursue compensation for your injury.
Proving Negligence in a Bicycle Accident
Our attorneys at Rizk Law have the experience needed to help you pursue a bicycle accident lawsuit. During your free consultation, our attorneys will examine your case and help you determine how to prove that the at-fault driver can be held negligent for his or her actions. In order to receive compensation for your injury, you must prove another motorist’s negligence:
- The at-fault party had a duty to act with reasonable care – When driving, there are certain obligations a driver must uphold to keep others around them safe. These include but are not limited to:
- Driving in accordance with the speed limit
- Stopping at red lights/stop signs
- Checking before merging lanes
- The at-fault party breached this duty to act with reasonable care – Once your attorney proves that the driver had a duty to act a certain way, he or she will then determine how this duty was breached.
- The at-fault party’s breach of duty caused you harm – After those two elements are established, it must be proven that the driver’s breach of duty caused your injury. Medical documentation is one piece of evidence that can help link your injuries to the driver’s negligence.
After proving the driver acted in a negligent way, our attorneys at Rizk Law can file your claim on your behalf so that you have the opportunity to receive compensation for the losses your injury caused.
Contact our lawyers at Rizk Law today for your Free Case Evaluation form.
How to Report a Bike Accident in Vancouver
Filing an accident report is a crucial step in all traffic-related accidents. In Washington State, police officers typically file an accident report, but in the event that an officer does not show up, you must file a report within four days of the accident.
If an officer files a report, it is wise to ask for a copy to present to insurance companies. This is an official record of what happened, any citations issued, and possibly the officer’s opinion of who is at fault.
If you decide to a file a lawsuit, Washington’s statute of limitations mandates that all personal injury cases, including bicycle accident cases, be filed within three years of the date the accident. If this deadline is missed, you will not be able to file a cycling accident lawsuit and pursue compensation for your injury.
Call us at Rizk Law today and we can get started on your case right away. 503.245.5677
Contact a Vancouver Bicycle Accident Lawyer Today
Our attorneys at Rizk Law understand that this is a difficult time for you. Bicycle accident injuries can be costly and take a devastating toll on your finances. We want to ensure that you have the opportunity to claim what is rightfully yours.
We are a compassionate team that will advocate for your rights every step of the way. Contact us today for your free consultation. There are no risks to you in contacting us as we work on a contingency fee basis which means that there are no costs to you unless we successfully recover compensation for your case.