Gresham Boat Accident Lawyers- Client Reviews
Boating is a fun activity on weekends, vacations and whenever else you or your family or friends have free time. Unfortunately, because people are often so focused on having fun and cutting loose they often forget safety precautions or they engage in dangerous behavior. This often results in serious injury, particularly when alcohol is involved, or boat operators are speeding. However, there are many other reckless, negligent behaviors that can result in injuries to operators and occupants of boats or even people in the water. Since many boating accidents are caused by negligence, it may be a good idea to meet with a lawyer after an accident that causes you to suffer a serious injury. The Gresham boat accident lawyers at our firm understand the many factors involved in boat accidents. We know how to determine if you have a case, the value of the compensation you may be owed, and how to begin pursuing a case.
Our personal injury lawyers pursue cases on a contingency fee basis. You will not be charged for your consultation and you do not have any costs or fees unless we recover compensation. We want you to be focused on pursuing the justice and compensation you are entitled, not how to pay for experienced legal help.
Boating Accidents Caused by Negligence
Personal injury cases are based on the legal theory of negligence, which means someone is at-fault for the accident because he or she failed to exercise reasonable care to help prevent others from suffering an injury. There must be a link between the at-fault party's actions and the victim suffering an injury to have a valid case.
Our personal injury attorneys in Gresham are prepared to pursue compensation for boating accidents caused by many forms of negligence, including:
- Speeding, particularly when there are dangerous conditions, such as bad weather
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Allowing too many people to be on the boat, putting them at risk of falling overboard
- Not repairing damaged equipment that causes a boating accident
- Not paying attention while operating the boat, causing a crash
- Turning at an excessive speed
- Not cleaning up slippery surfaces or warning people on the boat to prevent falls or slips
- Lacking safety equipment or devices that can help prevent injuries
- Violating Washington’s boating laws
- Operating a boat without the proper license or certification
- Operating a boat even though you lack the required or appropriate experience
- Failing to have someone watching for threats or hazards in the water
These forms of negligence can result in various types of boating accidents, including:
- People falling overboard
- Crashing into another boat
- Crashing into dry land
- Crashing into fixed objects, such as rocks or posts
- Slip and fall accidents
- Hitting swimmers in the water
- Fires and explosions that can cause burn injuries or cause the boat to sink, putting people at risk for drowning
According to the U.S. Coast Guard, the top five primary types of boating accidents in 2017 across the U.S. were:
- Collisions with recreational vessels – 1,145 accidents in 2017, with 49 deaths and 721 injuries
- Collisions with fixed objects – 470 accidents with 63 deaths and 327 injuries
- Flooding – 435 accidents with 76 deaths and 132 injuries
- Grounding – 368 accidents with 17 deaths and 224 injurie – 306 accidents with 179 deaths and 126 injuries
Unfortunately, as with other types of motor vehicle accidents, even if you or the person operating the boat you are on is cautious, another boat operator could still cause an accident. He or she could crash into your boat or operate his or her vessel in such a way that your boat crashes because you are trying to make evasive maneuvers.
If you were injured in a boating accident caused by negligence, contact a Gresham boat accident lawyer right now for a free legal consultation to determine your options.
What Should I Do After a Boat Accident?
You may not realize it, but the steps you take after a boating accident could either help or hurt your chances of recovering fair compensation. This is why you should educate yourself on the steps you can take to start building a case and document the damages you have suffered.
The first and most important thing is to get medical treatment. You need to be fully evaluated by doctors to determine all of your injuries and how to treat and stabilize them. Doctors can also recommend a course of treatment for your injuries to give you the best chance of recovering fair compensation.
If possible, and if it is safe to do so, you should try to gather evidence at the scene. Pull out your cellphone and take as many pictures as you can of the boat, your injuries, property damage, and anything else that might be relevant. If damaged equipment contributed to the accident, get a picture of it as well.
You should also collect identifying information for the parties involved, such as names, contact information, insurance information, registration and identification numbers for the vessels involved, etc.
The accident also must be reported to the proper authorities in the state of Oregon. Under Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) 830.485, operators of any vessels involved in situations that caused injury or death, or property damage greater than $2,000 must report the accident to the Oregon State Marine Board. You must complete the following form to properly report what happened.
Your next step should be to contact a lawyer to review your situation and the legal options you may have for recovering fair compensation. Our Gresham boat accident attorneys understand what you are dealing with and are prepared to pursue fair compensation.
Call Rizk Law today at 503.245.5677.
Contact a Gresham Boat Accident Lawyer Now
Boating accidents can be extremely dangerous – you may suffer an injury on the boat or get thrown overboard, which adds the danger of drowning. Another problem with boating accidents is that you may be far away from help, as opposed to a car accident where an ambulance may have an easier time reaching you.
Our Gresham boat accident lawyers understand the danger of these accidents and how negligence can play a role in causing them. When negligence is involved, you may have legal options for pursuing compensation for medical expenses, property damage and other expenses created by the accident.
The attorneys at our firm can review your situation in a free, no obligation legal consultation. If we represent you in the legal process, you will not owe use any legal fees unless you are compensated first.